PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 17:34
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you should be focusing on ensuring that you do NOT get yourself in to such conditions that might warrant an instrument approach in the first place.
SoCal

When I learnt to fly in a C152 the little aircraft was IFR equipt. My instructor on asking about the VOR, ADF etc always said that as a training VFR pilot I did not need to know about such things and refused to show me how the things worked.

I am of the opinion that if you have it find out how to use it. In an ideal world pilots will never get in a mess will never go near cloud but in the real world situations do occur.

The better your knowledge the more options you have. That does not mean you ever as a VFR pilot even have to have the things switched on but ???

So yes miroku get your training as you will anyway also use MSFS its an excellent tool for home practice and currency on instrument flying.
Iinstrument flying will give you a better understanding and may even make you more cautious about taking to the clouds.

In that way instrument flying will add to your flying but dont use it for real without the right aircraft and the right complete structured training and rating.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 3rd Feb 2010 at 17:49.