PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 15:14
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
PEI 3721 I am unsure why you would want to disagree with a significant level of blame being attributed to the captain of this flight. As has been done to death in numerous other posts I agree that there were other contributing factors. What has surprised me and others is that the initial investigation seems to place most of the blame elsewhere, on Boeing and ATC in particular.

As an experienced 737 captain I feel a number of serious errors were made by the crew. I do not believe that they were blameless in the outcome or displayed particularly good airmanship. Let me argue my point using your prefered model of airmanship:

Discipline: The crew carried out an unstabilised approach below a level Boeing recommends going around. They failed to complete required actions such as checklists in a timely fashion.

Skill and proficiency: The go-around / stall recovery was flown in such a manner that the aircraft crashed. This is a standard sim exercise and is the first item in the maneuvers section of the QRH. As has been pointed out they could have flown manually at an earlier point and the outcome would have been different.

Knowledge: They seem to have been taken by surprise by the 737's strong pitch up tendency when applying max power. They do not seem to have realised how long it would take the aircraft to decelerate when capturing from above.

Situational awareness: The crew accepted a tight turn onto the ILS and were too slow in recognising the problem. In the recovery they became overloaded and failed to recognise the problem with the throttles.

Judgement: The captain seems to have let the trainee get into a situation where recovery was a high risk situation and indeed proved to be beyond his own ability. He is reported to have been focused on the landing checklist, whilst no one was adequately monitoring the performance of the autoflight system.

Oakape has described many of the underlying issues in his excellent post. We live in an imperfect world. Our industry has become significantly safer due to automation. The flip side is that many pilots are now unable to deal with basic problems due to automation dependance.

These poor guys paid the ultimate price. I hope we can all learn something from what happened.