PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 13:37
PEI_3721

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
lederhosen, it is difficult to disagree with your observations of airmanship (# 2643). Mainly because you constrain yourself to a single view of an accident – the person model, which usually concludes with blame. Without elaboration there is little opportunity for debate; we have to fix airmanship – how?

First what do you mean by airmanship – it’s probably different to my understanding and use.
I like Tony Kern’s model – discipline, skill and proficiency, knowledge, situation awareness, and judgement. Thinking skills are both within and link these points; critical thinking, how we think, why we think, and awareness of bias.
Using such a framework it should be possible to debate what aspects were absent or which link failed, thus contributing to the accident.

Remedial activities can be identified and assessed for practicality and cost effectiveness.
In this instance, these almost certainly include organisational aspects of training and operations, and thence economics. This immediately opens a wider view, alternative models of accidents, contributions, and thus options for improving safety.

Simple statements of ‘poor airmanship’, ‘fly the aircraft’, ‘CRM failure’, etc, do little to progress the cause of safety. They often stifle debate or indicate a closed mind or withdrawal from the subject “I know what happened – it wont happen to me’.
This is not necessarily wrong, providing the individual understands why ‘it’ won’t happen to them, and what they are going to do about it, but if not, then the attitude could represent a lost opportunity to improve … their airmanship?

Airmanship is a personal attitude to flying, why we do it, how we do it. Airmanship must grow with training, experience, and personal exposure. It is not just about staying alive or not bending the airplane or yourself, it is about walking off the airfield knowing that you have both performed and crafted an activity. You have been totally aware of what you have done and why you enjoyed it, and at that point you owe nothing to anyone. Tony Hayes, CFI Brisbane Valley Leisure Aviation Centre.
Accident Models.
Critical Thinking .
Perspectives on Human Error.
Airmanship training for modern aircrew.
Fostering successes rather than reducing failures.
Attention to safety and the psychology of surprise.