PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 12:02
psycho joe

Location: shivering in the cold dark shadow of my own magnificence.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been interesting on a sociological level.

Every time the basic premise of this thread is trotted out, a cast of thousands flock to the site to extol the virtues of hand flying with a nationalistic style ferver akin to Americans draping their cars & houses in flags in an effort to be seen as the greater patriot, which itself is born out of a fear of being judged a lesser patriot than their fellow countrymen. (i.e. if I extol the virtues of hand flying then I must be considered a great and worthy pilot; Alternatively if I don't then by extrapolation i am neither worthy nor great ).

The Captain of an airliner is a lot like the captain of an ocean going ship. A ships captain doesn't sail the high seas for weeks or months on end clutching desperately at the wheel. In fact a ships captain may never touch the steering controls during a voyage. Yet there is no doubt about ability or who (or what) is in command.

i.e. the steering isn't the hard part, so the captain doesn't feel threatened by automation. The hard(er) part is being the commander which no computer, acountant or manager has been able to replicate.

...And when the machines do become self aware, I wish to be the first to side with our new computer overlords, that I may ... Ive said too much.