PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Zimbabwe
Thread: Air Zimbabwe
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 11:14
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Zimbabwe is a safe airline
Who says so ? The FAA have banned Air Zimbabwe from the USA not because of sanctions but because they have "assessed the Government of Zimbabwe’s Civil Aviation Authority as not being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Zimbabwe’s air carrier operations."

The IOSA certification is a box ticking exercise for all airlines who want to be in IATA.

I didn't state that Air Zimbabwe were unsafe however I haven't seen a report from a COMPETENT source saying they are safe. Due to the situation doubts are quite rightly raised, serious financial difficulties, ageing aircraft, lack of key personnel. Are the holes in the cheese starting to line up ?

mainly because the president uses the airline for his personal travel
What are his qualifications in aviation safety management ? His expertise lies in crushing opposition to his government and enlarging his personal wealth at his countrys expense. Would he know if an airworthiness directive had been complied with ? Would you like to tell him he couldn't fly because a part was time expired ?

I would rather fly a well maintained old machine flown by a pro
I would rather fly on a well maintained new machine flown by a pro, I don't want to be the one who discovers the problems when the total time gets too high.

The "pros" you speak of left during the 1980/1990s and are well dispersed world wide. Lots in Cathay. I can't comment on what's left but the Zimbabwe licence isn't much use these days, I don't even put it on my CV anymore.

Show me a report from a competent source saying they are safe and I would fly on them.

Last edited by Metro man; 10th Feb 2010 at 11:53.