PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - Lesson 1:01: How To Seriously Upset A Group Of Premium Customers
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 20:58
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Two-Tone-Blue
The interaction between staff and the paying customer is critical in the development of business. I've observed previously about the amazing CC on MaxJet [of fond memory]. I would never expect a Global company like BA to be able to generate that level of intimacy and inter-action with the customers.
Two-Tone-Blue has a good point and I know F3G has also mentioned it with regards to Air Malta. I'm lucky, in that, despite flying for such a large airline, I tend to fly the same route most of the time and therefore, have had the pleasure of getting to know many of our regulars on that route. There's Mr XXX who always likes to be in 15K and is usually happy to have a quick chat before getting down to work, always with a glass of his preferred white. Then there's Ms XXX, who's PA is convinced she needs to diet. (She doesn't!) We have an understanding that I will always seek out the most cholesterol laden offering I can find as a substitute for her Low Cal meal, just to spite her PA. And there's Mr & Mrs XXX who are constantly travelling back and forth to see their children. I won't labour the point as I'm sure you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong, I try to treat all passengers in the same manner but there is something special about those that I have got to know during their time in the air, even when it comes to some of our slightly tougher regulars. I know what they like. Whether they usually like a chat or generally just want to sleep. What their preferred drink is. In some cases, even how many children they have and what they've been up to. I can usually pre-empt their requests. That, surely, has to make their experience different, no matter how hard I try with those I "don't know". Maybe that's where the smaller airlines have the advantage.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not condoning bad service but I can't help feeling that I generally perform much better on those flights, than on the ones where I don't instinctively know what the passenger wants.

Of course, there have also been occasions when I have just got it plain wrong. But then again, I'm only human and where possible, I'm not too proud to apologise.