PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Wavell - the end of the RAF in Cyprus?
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 12:09
Pete268

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project Wavell - the end of the RAF in Cyprus?

Having been idly browsing around the web on a day off, I happened to venture onto the Independent newspaper website where I found an article on what can only be described as the 'civvyisation' of the RAF in Cyprus including:

''The contract involves support services, including looking after aircraft while they are on the ground and maintenance of airfields. The contract covers Akrotiri and Dhekelia, Britain's sovereign bases on the island.''

Serco hopes to win Cyprus bid - Business News, Business - The Independent

Apparently a decision is being made regarding 'Project Wavell' on 19th February to identify who the 'lucky' contractor will be.

Is the MOD so skint that it is 'disposing' of the only decent posting left for the RAF and giving it to Serco?

No doubt the brown jobs will do their utmost to protect themselves from this, but I do forsee it as the begining of the end for the RAF - who would join up when the only overseas tours in the future will be sandpits and Bennyland (all unaccompanied).

Considering we have lost RAFG, Hong Kong, Belize etc surely 'privatising' Cyprus is a base too far?

Pete