PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My adventure in the Top End
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 07:59
Krazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I left A and am now at B. Again, great place. If nothing else, I'm loving discovering this part of the country!

Again, have come across some really helpful people here, with pointers and advice about who to contact and try. Unfortunately, they're nearly all people/places I have contacted (or am on my way to see). I really am discovering how small the industry is....

Anyway, it's been useful and shortly I am off to C. I'm not expecting much and therefore do not have my hopes high. But you never know - and if anything, it's just on the road to more places!

I have heard from a couple of operators that having a instrument rating would be helpful up here. Makes perfect sense given the weather, but it's an expensive thing to do when a) it's not tax deductible, and b) even with it, there's no guarantee of a job afterwards anyway. It's quite an investment. However, maybe for others who are yet to get their CPL and want to get some sort of rating/endorsement whilst building up the hours - that would be a worthwhile path.

I am going to start having to make decisions about work 'back home' shortly. At some point I will need to accept my adult responsibilities, but not just yet!

Post note: one thing I find amusing about this place (the NT): before I bought a car in Darwin I checked with the MVR (motor vehicle registry) twice - once on the phone and once in person - to confirm that I can transfer registration even though I don't have NT residency. I was told it's not a problem, they just 'lock' the rego so I can't renew it unless I have residency by then. All good. I buy the car, and head to pay stamp duty and do the paperwork. Different MVR, and this time I'm told that it can't be done because I don't have NT residency. I need to do it in my home state. Well, that's not happening any time soon! The long and the short of it, because the seller will send in their disposal form, there is nothing more for me to do. The bonus? given that I can't transfer the rego, I don't have to pay stamp duty. Bloody idiots!

Last edited by Krazy; 2nd Feb 2010 at 09:12.