PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what Master's?
Thread: what Master's?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 07:42
Dodo56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't have a first degree I'm not sure you'd want to go for an MSc, even if a college would take you. You would really want the grounding of the BSc first - masters degrees are aimed at folk who already have a fairly good understanding of their chosen field and want to get deeper into it. Any further degree that doesn't build on a first isn't worth much, IMHO.

As an old Irish fella once said to me when I stopped to ask for directions, "Ah sure, if I was going there I wouldn't be starting from here". The better you can define where you want to go the easier it will be to find a route there.

The industry/OEM route generally recruits graduates though it is smaller than it used to be. Can provide route into airline side if that's what you want, in the support/reliability/planning side. Direct into airlines as stated tends to be off the floor but view the licensed engineer route.

I would suggest checking out BSc courses if that's your forte. They can be done part time or distance learning if you don't want to interrupt your work, and you may find your employer willing to sponsor you. Reckon on 10-20 hrs/week study required though so don't underestimate the effort and commitment needed.

One you might like to check out: www.part66.com