PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 03:32
mkdar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys
Lets have a reality check;
Gulf air is a business, not a well fare venture.
CEO’S are about numbers, numbers of aeroplanes, numbers of pilots, and numbers of hours to be flown.
Numbers about yield, numbers about expenditure.
Businesses are NOT about pilot support and pilot well fare.
Sure, CEO’S do talk about employees well being and all but, that’s all what it is, talk.

The fleet office is doing what they are told to do, which is exactly what we as pilots do, we are told to fly from A to B, we do it, in the best way we know how to.
Gulf air now is about shrinking, cutting cost, not expanding. How would we do it if we were in their shoes?
It is un fortunate, people do loose their jobs, lives get missed about, lots of crap fly around, but life goes on.
It becomes the individual responsibility to take care of his own well fare, not the institutions.
We have seen it happen all over the world before, the only deference is that there, they have unions. Personally I have never worked in an environment of unions before, some say it’s good, some say it’s bad.
I believe that it is up to each individual to take care of his own good. If it does not work in your best interest, go some where else, every one is hiring around , it’s painful, frustrating , even un fair but, hey, who said that life is fair any way?
If I sound pragmatic, it’s because I am, romanticism has never put bread on the table for my kids.
One last note, when a similar thing happened in Jordan years ago, at some stage , Majali had to raise pilots salaries by 93% overnight, he lost more pilots than he thought he would! I’m not saying this is going to happen again but, hey, if there are no pilots to fly whatever equipment he offers, what do you think is going to happen?
I did not intend to offend any one in my post, all what I am trying to do is : a reality check.