PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2010, 00:18
speke2me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regle

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I hung on almost every word. As mentioned, despite the books, there is nothing like the 'horses mouth', and that is what makes this thread, with you and other contributors like Cliff, so special. It's a thread I can never see deleted, because it's such a personal account of real history.

I noticed my copy of 'Bomber Boys' seems to be a different author from the one you encountered, as I read later into this thread. No matter. It essentially seems to cover the same stuff. And as for the 'Schrage Musik', well, what a nasty prospect? Sneaking up from behind and below, with no way to see, and a potential lethal outcome?

Yes you were incredibly brave, all of you, no question. And yes I do appreciate a lot and do feel very proud. After all, you were there, you did it, and you bloody well deserve the accolade!

I will read the 'Bomber Boys' book again. Might come back with more daft questions - sorry

Regarding the fact that as an airline pilot you needed med checks and proficiency checks on a regular basis. Well as an airline pilot you are responsible for a number of souls in your care. A doctor, or GP, is also responsible for a number of souls, and possibly more directly. So you make a very good point.

Take care. Thanks for the very good post. Beware further questions

Oh, and here's one right now: given that you wore oxygen masks and the aircraft were not pressurised in WW2, was it bloody freezing doing a 7 hour round trip on a bombing sortie at altitude?

Last edited by speke2me; 2nd Feb 2010 at 00:32. Reason: spelling