PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yahoo advertising. Angry as @$#% about this
Old 1st Feb 2010, 20:37
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still miss the VAX.
I never got to use one.

Well, not quite true. One day a call came in, "such and such a system is broken, send someone to fix it" (this being in the days before you could expect to fix anything remotely).

Guy whose project it was was on holiday, so I asked around the office for anyone who knew any VAX assembler.

Answer came there none. So I, who had never used a VAX before, let along written assembler for it, found myself on the plane the next morning - being the boss I couldn't really delegate it to someone else who didn't know what they were doing either, could I. I turned up at the customer's office, in Edinburgh, in August, and got the secretary to try to find me a bed for the night whilst I started looking at the problem.

No chance of anywhere to sleep, obviously, not with the festival on, so clearly I had to fix the problem the same day.

Erm ... I succeeded. It turned out I needed to write one line of code, which I managed to get done well before the last plane of the day left. The most expensive one line anyone has ever paid me to write!