PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2010, 18:35
daynehold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X ray scanning

My view on this was published in a rebutable daily paper early January:

It is surely a matter of luck that the terrorist attempt to destroy Flight 253 flight failed, but it emphasises the need for constant vigilance and enhanced security for all passengers. This year, Manchester airport introduced passenger X-ray scanning, which was subjected to problems and criticism not least from those purporting to uphold human rights. Indeed, I believe that an early decision was made not to screen passengers under the age of 18.
The rationale for such a decision doesn't stand up to any kind of reasoned scrutiny. If my memory serves me correctly I also recall that certain sectors of our society refused to be screened by "sniffer dogs", it being contrary to their faith or beliefs. I don't, for one moment question the right of any individual to hold a particular view. But when that belief either impinges on, or may threaten, the lives of others, a line has to be drawn. Those wishing to travel by air must be prepared to subject themselves to whatever security measures are deemed necessary. If not, they don't travel.
"Daynehold" (Name changed for obvious reasons)
Stockport, Cheshire

Again I recognise that my view will offend some people. But before they reply please can they reflect on another Human Right - the right to life.

And if anyone out there tries to identify me may I remind them of the right to privacy.