PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PC12 Glide Approach
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2010, 13:32
rcoight

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm sure I'll be shot down as I've posted this before, but seeing someone asked, here is a summary of the stats as far as I can find them, from a study of (NTSB) accident reports 1998 - 2007.

"It was interesting to compare the safety of single and multi-engine turboprop aircraft. Their overall, engine related, and fatal accident rates were very similar. Their fatal engine related accident rates were very low.
However, the single engine turboprop aircraft had one-third of the engine related fatal accident rate compared with multi-engine turboprops. Whether that difference can be attributed to the lower stall speeds and thus lower impact speeds of single engine aircraft or attributed to the reduced pilot workload following an engine shutdown is unknown, but the effect on fatal accidents was clear."

To return to the initial thread, very well done to the crew concerned....

The cloudbreak procedure as already described is great fun to practice, but no doubt wouldn't be a lot of fun to have to do for real...

RC

Oh, and several people win the lottery every week, so I would say you are more likely to do that than suffer a turbine engine failure, whether single or twin!