PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 1st Feb 2010, 13:20
JayPee28bpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boondocker etc

I have no link to PCCC, just a general morbid interest in the way a part of BA's cabin crew community appears headed towards an unwinnable dispute.

I can hazard a guess at PCC's approach from what I have read to date, both about its modus operandi, and that of BASSA. This is certainly how I would approach things. I suspect PCC will look to gain recognition by BA. Immediately after, or even as part of such a discussion, PCC will ask for access to BA's internal financials and will sign the requisite NDA that BASSA declined to do some time ago.

Having analysed BA's financials (in reality having asked an accountancy firm to do so on their behalf), they will then be in a position to advise members on what it is practical to request in any negotiations on T&Cs, make recommendations as to the negotiating position to adopt, as well as ensuring they negotiate with BA from a position of information equality.

BASSA's lack of awareness with respect to BA's detailed financial position is clear to anyone with a reasonable level of financial training. BASSA's financial assumptions, both with regard to aviation generally and BA specifically, are well outside the consensus range right now. This failure to appreciate the economic environment within which negotiations with BA are taking place is a key reason why BASSA is failing to gain any kind of traction with the financial community (and possibly explains disagreement with other colleagues in BA too, but that is just my speculation). You may not see investors as being important but, unfortunately, investors and their advisors represent an important stakeholder group, just as do employees, customers, and suppliers.

So, to summarise what I would do if I was leading the PCC:

1. Seek recognition
2. Seek access to BA's internal financials
3. Formulate a negotiating position based on the analysis of 2 above

I suggest that some of the questions currently being asked of PCC, ie "what would you do about X?" are impossible to answer other than speculatively unless and until PCC is able to achieve point 2 above at the very least. Nobody can answer definitively without knowing the financial basis on which BA would view any particular proposal. Again, a key reason why BASSA is failing to make progress with its proposals with BA is that it is ignorant of BA's detailed financial analysis of crew operating costs. And that goes right back to its decision not to accept access to them in return for an NDA. My view is that you would be better off asking BASSA to explain that decision of theirs, rather than posing hypothetical questions to PCC at the moment. The fact that BASSA does not have access to BA's interpretation of all relevant financial data is probably the key reason why they find themselves in such a weak negotiating position. Getting "what if" answers from PCC is not going to improve the current weak bargaining position that cabin crew find themselves in.