PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opportunity with start-up in Hawaii - NZ company
Old 1st Feb 2010, 02:54
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try most of the EU.

Last job I had there paid me AU$14,500 a month, so around AU$174,000 pa. 100 seat jet.

How about turboprop F/O at 700 hours, turboprop skipper at 1800 hours, first jet (and a direct entry command) at 4000 hours? All of which took just 4.5 years? Try doing that in Oz. And I wasn't unusual, plenty of people in Europe with 767 commands on less than 5000 hours.

Australia has (comparatively) low rates of pay, poor conditions, and very slow progression, which is why most ozmates with the ability to do so, leave and go anywhere but Oz. Cathay, all the Mid-East airlines, Royal Brunei, half the Asian airlines, Easyjet in the UK, all infested with hundreds of Aussies.

But that's OK, keep those rose-tinted speccies on your nose and enjoy whatever it is Oz has to offer... let me see... 5000 hours of instructing before you have any chance of seeing a dilapidated 30 year old Aztec... another 5000 hours banging round in said Aztec before you have any chance of a regional job in a... wait for it... Dash 8 or similar... another 5-10 years to get a command in said commuter plane... then - if you are lucky - right seat of a jet where you will sit for another ten years before getting a command... assuming the next recession hasn't hit by then, in which case it's back to the Aztec...