PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yahoo advertising. Angry as @$#% about this
Old 31st Jan 2010, 22:34
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully, more of a skillset behind it.
Pretty sure the first thing I got paid to work on was an IBM 1130. Followed by IBM 360, then custom made 8080 based systems (you couldn't buy microprocessor boards off the shelf then, you had to design them yourself), then a whole bunch of minicomputers some of whose names I can't remember (the PDP 11 was OK, the DG Nova was horrible, I forget the rest).

The modern stuff - where you could buy a ready-made small computer off the shelf for only a few grand - started in the 1980s. Stuff like the SuperBrain running WordStar - you no longer needed to buy a single purpose piece of hardware if what you wanted was a word processor (I saw, but never worked on, one of the really early word processors which came built into a desk with its own paper tape reader, custom keyboard etc).

By that time I was well into culling obsolete stuff from my CV to keep it to a sane length ... and to make sure nobody offered me a job doing things I didn't want to do ever again! So, you won't find all of this stuff on my CV