PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2010, 21:52
speke2me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By Regle:

"I was on the vital bombing of Peenemunde in a Halifax of 51 Sqdn. We were in the first wave. Mosquitos had made a preliminary raid on Berlin and the German fighters were sent there as it looked as though the main stream were Berlin bound. It was a bright moonlit night and we went to Peenemunde, dropped our bombs on the aiming point, saw a lot more Halifaxes doing the same thing, we went back without seeing a fighter or flak and learned, next day that we had lost 42 aircraft ! The luck was being in that first wave and the skill was there to get the hell out whilst the going was good. Thank you for your kind remarks. It makes the single finger pecking away worthwhile when you see that someone is taking note."

Taking note? You bet! I read a book a year or two ago titled 'Bomber Boys' by Kevin Wilson. I think the raid you were on above is mentioned in it. As excellent as it is, the first hand accounts delivered by yourselves and others in this thread are fantastic. Better than any book. And what's more, you can't ask any questions of a book, as you can in a forum such as this. For example: 'Shrage Musik' - did it become the real terror as I read in that book?

Apologies if I insert replies like this as I work my way through this thread, but it is so fascinating.

Thanks again