PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qn: How do you do it - ie. manage the family?
Old 31st Jan 2010, 21:48
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
In any rewarding career there are sacrifices to be made. Aviation is no different and when you get to the top of the tree you have a lot more say in what goes on with your lifestyle.

My brother-in-law is a property analyst for a top-5 investment bank and works 6 days/week from 8am to 8pm every week, and more (much more) through the reporting season.

Wife's brother-in-law is a partner in a large country accounting firm. He has it pretty good now, but to get there he had to prostitute himself working for a big firm in the city 12-14 hour days etc.

My sister is a Psychologist working for a major recruitment firm - she has been known to overnight in the office to keep the place running.

A person with a good work ethic can achieve anything they want BUT if the support and understanding isn't there at home it can place unnecesary hurdles in your way

For example, I know an extremely hard-working pilot but his wife's family... well, they never really had to work all that hard. She has no concept of why a bloke would need to spend 12 hours/day at work (he owns the business) and not 9-5. "You're the boss, you can decide when you go can't you?"

Gotta keep the big picture and the objective firmly in the front of your mind, - and hers.

Good luck

Last edited by Horatio Leafblower; 31st Jan 2010 at 22:07.