PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAVE THE BoB MEMORIAL FLIGHT! PETITION TO No. 10...
Old 31st Jan 2010, 18:57
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
I can takes so much Olive and then I can't takes no more! My Grandchildren and most probably my Great Grandchildren will be paying off the debts run up by Sir Fred and all his chums. The Defence Budget is a prime target for the squeeze that will have all the pips squeaking. It is not a question of how much more spending will be available for the front line but more a question of how much less there will be if the BBMF, the AEF's, the UAS's etc etc have to go on being funded out of the same budget. The irony in all this is that there is a fair chance that the only aircraft in full compliance with the UK Military Airworthiness Regulations are those operated by the BBMF, given that it directs its own procurement, maintenance and servicing procedures. Lack of funds to do that for the front line fleets has already cost far too many lives. When the new MAA starts its business of trying to rectify that, the first thing it will need is money and probably far more than was ever "saved" by deliberately flouting the Airworthiness Regulations for more than twenty years. Again that has to come out of that very same Defence Budget. We are at war, whether members posting here support that or not is immaterial, we are still at war. There is a desperate need for more AT and especially SH, again that has to come out of the same budget. I really think that we have to face up to reality and quickly. If something is done in good time it is possible that the Flight can carry on, albeit under different funding arrangements. Do nothing and the likelihood is that it will be disbanded and the aircraft sold off. I do not believe that the annual cost is a mere £3M. I do not believe that the MOD has not plans to save whatever the real financial cost is. My point is that the real cost of diverting money to worthy but unessential ends will be in lives lost in avoidable accidents if this burden is not lifted from the Defence Budget. Oh, seeing as I'm going to get jumped on anyway, may as well get hung for the sheep etc. Beags, your comment that those who do not support this petition are unworthy of wearing the light blue was outrageous. You may have been aiming it at those younger ones who are still serving, that simply makes it more outrageous in my view. Well I don't support it and resent the slur on my service in the Royal Air Force. Disagree with me by all means, as indeed you do, but keep that sort of "banter" to yourself!