PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 31st Jan 2010, 15:40
Syawriahsitirb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please BA CC, listen to your hearts and not the lies...

From what I can gather, one of the issues is that of removing a crew member from SH and (a purser) from LH flights. Therefore one of the gripes is that purser's will therefore lose out on some flying allowances (inevitably, as they're doing less flying).

Also, there is a worry about the 'new fleet' coming into Heathrow in the near future and that all the 'money-making' trips and routes will be transferred onto the 'new fleet', thereby reducing flying allowances further.

I'd first like to address the points made above (hoping I'v got the gist of the matter). I am a short-haul pilot and every season, our flight schedule is tweaked with and we either work harder or not so hard depending on the requirements of the company on that particular season. It happens in every airline and is something we have just come to accept. However, the fact that our flying hours change on a monthly and seasonally basis, due to the above point, means that our flying allowances inevitably change. Some months we get more allowances and therefore more money in our wage packet and other months we get less allowances and hence less money in our wage packet.
I'd like to compare what British Airways told us down at LGW earlier this year, with that of a crew member being taken off flights at LHR. We were advised that we were losing 10 short haul destinations at LGW for Winter 09/10. Some were going altogether, and others were disappearing up the road to LHR. This meant that we were all going to be doing a lot less flying in the winter due to above 'operational change.' It is the words 'OPERATIONAL CHANGE' that I want everyone to consider. Because British Airways decided to make an operational change to our winter schedule, that meant we were going to be doing less flying in the winter and therefore our flying allowances would reduce. Or in other words, our variable pay would reduce. Flying Allowances = Variable Pay! So therefore, at LHR, British Airways have decided to make an operational change to their flights, in such that one less crew member will now operate SH and LH flights and in the case of LH flights, the CSD will take over a service role (this brings is in line with other carriers and more importantly the British Airways fleet at LGW, something which has been working for many years now, at the agreement of, UNITE [think about that one!]). Now due to the fact that British Airways has made an operational change to their crew complements, the flying allowances or variable pay will inevitably reduce. This is why it is called Variable Pay! It varies, depending on the needs of the company at any one time!!!
Now because the company changed their schedule at LGW and therefore we would all be flying less, we didn't ballot for a strike and demand that it was unfair of British Airways to change their own schedule and therefore affect our flying allowances. It is simply an operational change and that's something that everyone needs to realise.

In terms of the 'New Fleet,' first of all nothing has been set in stone as to what new crew on this fleet are going to be paid and secondly it hasn't been stated that lucrative routes are being transferred to this fleet. I believe British Airways have even offered a payment to existing crew in case this happens! So, we cannot base a strike on something we don't know will actually happen.

I also understand that some of the more militant cabin crew are keeping hold of names of volunteers of people who wish to be trained up as cabin crew in the event that a strike does occur. For what reason is this happening? Is this so that these volunteers can be bullied or harassed? I sincerely hope not, as if this happens, then it'll cost that person their job!

What crew have to realise is that times have changed and airlines need to change to adapt to the current times. British Airways are not touching your contracted basic salaries, all they're asking as that you become a bit more productive and work a little bit harder. The more this goes one, the more the Union will dig themselves into a hole and it'll probably never recover. Finally, just to make the point. People who volunteer to work as Cabin Crew over this time are doing so to protect their own families, their own incomes, their own pensions and their own lives. It's not just to have a dig at cabin crew. We're more mature than that. How can we stand aside and accept that the company might go down the toilet because of a strike that doesn't need to happen. I'v worked too damn hard to get here and I will not let my job slip through my fingers.

Please BA CC, listen to your hearts and not the lies that your union is telling you. British Airways are in serious times and there is a real possibility that the box you mark on your ballot paper will decide the fate of British Airways.

Over and Out.