PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My adventure in the Top End
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2010, 06:48
Krazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, today was a day of being a tourist. It's great up here. The landscape is beautiful and coming from drought country, it's amazing seeing so much water everywhere. Just fantastic! No progress on the work front though. However, to answer a question which a couple of people have asked - how do I approach the CP?

Well, I am taking my skills and knowledge from the old world (ie., that of my previous profession) and trying to apply it here. Firstly, let me say that going in to an operator's office is a bit like asking a girl out on a first date. I'm talking about the adrenalin rush part of it. Given the circumstances you pretty much expect to get no where, but you are going to try your hardest, put on a brave smile, and do your best to show them what you're made of.

My view is that you have to come across as yourself, as the person you really are. There is no point ever getting a job on false pretences as it won't last very long, and it will do more harm than good in the long run. So I act myself.

The other thing I try to do is differentiate myself from the crowd. Firstly, age. I think a little extra age can be seen as a good thing and a bad thing. So naturally I try to emphasise the good side of my age. Together with that I can show that I'm different because I have other knowledge and experience to draw on. Anyone coming from another career will know what I mean. Whilst, for example, being an accountant doesn't give you flying experience, you can use it as a selling point as any small business does book-keeping, BAS's, etc. Not saying that you would do all those things, but for a business to have skills and knowledge in-house is always helpful. The same applies to most professions. Lastly, any flying skills I have which may be different to the standard I try to bring in. I'm a low timer (like many), but I do have time in a C210. Whilst talking about this hasn't got me a job yet, I think it brings me a tiny bit closer.

In the end, I also know CPs are busy people and probably do get harassed a lot. I try to not waste their time, and try to read their body language. When you show up - the pilots and CP know immediately why you are there. So I don't believe there is any point wasting their time talking about other rubbish first. By all means, I am not saying don't be friendly, just be weary of their time.

All this being said - not sure if anyone really should take my advice since I don't have a flying job [yet]!!!