PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truth about being a pilot
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2010, 06:11
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view

Another mid-life career changer here and almost three years in flying turboprops. I still enjoy it for all the reasons people have mentioned above, however I'm now eager to advance my pay and lifestyle. Pay is about £32k including flight pay. Lifestyle consists of working 5/2 or 6/3 which in an average month comprises 4 standby's, 9 days off, 14 days which are 4 sector days and about 4 days that are 2 sectors. Personally that's a little too much work for too little pay for my liking!!

I fancy a nice job with a decent charter outfit - 2/3 days work a week for £70k sounds a much better deal!!

Now therein lies the issue. Eventually most people end up with kids as I have and £32k doesn't really provide a nice family house and a nice lifestyle (which is what I comfortably afforded in the previous IT job). I definately am frustrated with the earnings to workload ratio and with none of the better companies hiring at the moment like many people am kinda stuck.

Would I go back to the old IT job though - no way!! In terms of enjoyment of the job there really is no comparison.

Desk-pilot