PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ek sick days
Thread: Ek sick days
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2010, 20:39
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have often commented that certain departments in EK are extremely well run. For example, route planning, (something like 4 destinations cancelled in a 25 year history?... not bad IMHO) They also spend a ****eload on promotion of the EK brand, which has worked miraculously over the years. Plus EK is good at using technology such as CPDLC, EFB's, and excellent route structure analysis.

But ANY time our managers can find an opportunity to dismiss the 'human' aspects of the operation in order to save money, they do not hesitate to do so. The system is flawed because those same managers are rewarded for short-term gain, without consideration for long-term pain. For example (just specific to pilots)... crazy roster patterns, a complete disregard for seniority, CRC's repositioned to unsafe and rest-precluding areas in an aircraft, T&C considerations such as Utilities allowance, Overtime benefits, Annual Leave allocation, Accomodation, manning levels and Reserve allocation and policy. They simply don't care about the 'human' aspect of the operation provided they continue to earn money.

I will add to my earlier post one other reason why I remain at EK, and that is job security. Most pilots around the world do not have this same luxury that we enjoy at EK.

But in spite of those good points about EK, it does not mean we have good management and this is what bothers me.

EK has the benefit of full support from the governing authorities of this Emirate, we are considered integral to the future of Dubai and we are blessed with a geographic location conducive to a successful airline.

My belief is that we succeed ''in spite of our poor management'' because of the inherent advantages this airline enjoys. Imagine how successful we COULD be, and how each an every employee would love performing their jobs, if only we had capable management? WOW, that thought is mind-boggling!

(ps. sorry about the Repub jab last time, just couldn't help myself, hehe.)