PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment IV
Old 30th Jan 2010, 12:28
yaletown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glamgirl, I am confused about LGW. All my friends who were based at LGW WW were forced to move to LHR. If LGW were mainline, why would that have happenned? EuroGatwick was always a subsidiary, on a much lower paying contract than mainline; they were allowed to eventually transfer over to mainline, but after 5 years of service, they would go on a waiting list, and the kicker was that they could either go over to LGW WW or EuroFleet at LHR. They could only get to LHR WW after first doing either of the above then getting on yet another waiting list. In other words, BA did not want them crossing over and was definitely making it difficult.

EuroGatwick was formed when they shut down LGW Shorthaul after the buyout of DanAir in the early 90's. They were told either they would go mainline or get laid off. There were crew through the 90's that sat on layoff earning their basic salary until they all were forced back in '97. I think this was the beginning of BA's master plan to 'round up and quarter' those on the old contracts by creating subsidiaries and starting all these separate contracts, to basically pit everyone against each other.