PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2010, 08:56
daynehold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CEO

This departure is indeed overdue and most welcome. MAN now has a chance to draw a line under 10+ years of under-investment and lack of clear business direction which recognises that aviation, and not retail, will always be the core driver, even if it makes a smaller direct contribution to revenues.

Well said roverman, at last some common sense.

We can't overlook the fact that a part of Manchester's decline has been caused by terrorism (9/11) and more recently the econominc down turn. However, the rot set in several years ago when key people who had a proper understanding and enthusiasm for aviation and Mnchester Airport started to leave - in my mind, although some out there will undoubted disagree (and probably not mince their words in doing so!) Peter Hampson is one of the classic examples. Those who left were replaced by "grey suited" managers who undoubtedly had completed with distinction the appropriate management courses and were well versed in "PC speak"! But they didn't and never will have the ability to run a successful international airport.

I digress for a moment. I work for a Government department involved in the administration of Justice. Some years ago we underwent a major restructuring and new directors and chief executives were appointed. Few had any appropriate background coming from sectors such as the Post Office and the national Blood Transfusion Service. Needless to say they were clueless and the "Service" has suffered as a result. Now there are those who maintain that if you have a management qualification you have the abilty to manage any organisation. My response is simple = "NUTS"!!

To return to the Manchester CEO theme - at last there is an opportunity to appoint a CEO and management team who has a sound understanding and an enthusiasm for aviation and manchester inparticular. But I fear the opportunity may be lost - there are undoubtedly those out there who will be able to identify better and more qualified candidates - for example the bankers who have done such a sterling jobof managing our economy. Or they may prefer to select an unemployed NHS Manager or local authority director.But lets not also forget that there a general election on the horizon so there will be a vast pool of former MPs to pick from!!

I know I will attract critics some of who may decide that being offensive is their best form of reply or attack. "C'est la vie"!!!