View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2010, 23:03
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney
3 x F/A-18 Hornet - E to W over Harbour Bridge
1 x C-130 Hercules - Heads - Fort Dennison - Bridge - Parramatta
1 x F-111 - Heads - Fort Dennison - Bridge - Parramatta
I was out on the harbour and didn't see any sign of the Hercs. (That's not to say they didn't make an appearance. It's just that if they did, I didn't see them and no one else on the boat noticed them.)

The F18s, (three in a not always tight vic), did an east to west pass and then a west to east pass at ~2000'. Sorry guys, but it was hardly worth the effort and there were more than a few comments to that effect from some of the people around me. My comments in reply that they were prevented from doing anything even halfway impressive by the overly strict safety rules for flights over populated areas didn't make much impression, particularly after the same people had been watching the Navy Sea King doing all sorts of things, much of them at very low level all day. (A bomb burst just east of the bridge on the second pass would have kept some people happy, but I suppose that would have been off the agenda if R/W16 was active at YSSY.)

The F111, as stated already, came in through the heads about an hour after the F18s, (and from my vantage point, abeam the Opera House, in the far, far distance), did a very impressive steep turn right way waaaay east of Fort Denison, (it seemed to me, almost immediately after entering the heads) and that was the last I saw of it. It never came anywhere near the bridge.

We have standoff weapons these days. Do we practise standoff displays as well?