PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 29th Jan 2010, 15:49
FlexSRS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apologies. If BF is saying that then i'm afraid he is being disingenuous, part of the ongoing war.
I'm not sure he is you know. Bill F is saying that by going on strike, you are going to cost the company money. BA have always said that the cost of any industrial action will be added to that departments cost saving. This is one way of saving costs, (albeit not much!, although, as a side effect, it might generate revenue as commuters are forced to pay full fare) As another aside, are cabin crew aware that the entire cost of the "Backing BA" scheme, all the time off in lieu, all the overtime, all the course costs for training pilots / loaders / checkin agents to be cabin crew, all of that is being added to the IFCE budget. I bet BASSA didn't tell you that.

Originally Posted by The Heavy Heavy
It may not be very PC to say that the loss of a few hundred [commuters] from rome/paris/bcn may be more of a loss to A&F than BA but im pretty sure its true.
You're right, it wouldn't be very PC at all. Some of the very best cabin crew I have ever had the pleasure of working with have been crew who commute from Europe. And in fact, some of the worst crew I have had the displeasure of working with were English 'ladies of a certain age' who had waddled in from as nearby as Windsor.

However, all that aside, there is a known problem regarding crew commuting from a long way away, trying to avoid nights in the UK for tax reasons, and turning up to work moaning, cold, tired, almost demanding they get first rest and a blanket. We have all seen it. The same could be said for British crew who now live in a tax exile and do the same thing, I don't think nationality really comes in to it, it's just commuting from a long distance.

I really do think that the promise of having staff travel removed will really concentrate some minds though. I don't think it will stop them (commuters) voting YES, but I am pretty damn sure they will turn up to work, and they will be able to justify it to themselves and their colleagues that 'it's alright for you, you can just drive in to work for the next 20 years, I can't. I HAVE to come in during the strike'

Last edited by FlexSRS; 29th Jan 2010 at 15:51. Reason: Edited to reflect a poster or mod removing their post that they probably thought better of on reflection