PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130J just a strat aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2002, 21:51
Mike RO'Channel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABIW
Unfortunately, you are still missing the point but I will not enter into abusive and personal slanging matches.

As captain ( I was on the K), I am totally dependent on the rest of my crew and they on the highly(?) paid stick monkeys in the front. But I would do everything to ensure the whole lot of us stay alive.

I am not suggesting by any means that ALMs are glorified trolley dollies (which is a total insult and I am dismayed you think that is what I have implied). But when AAA, small arms and/or MANPADs are flying about, the place for ALMs is looking out of the windows - 'cos DAS is not a cloaking device and its not 100 pc reliable! If the ALM(s) are not looking out during approach/landing and T/O/departure, they should be busy with the paras/other chaps or CVRT/WIMIX/Loads etc.
Which means that there is b.gger all redundancy in the front for doing the WSO/AEOp type of things that need doing - not getting f...g weathers for Akronelli! However, I know ALMs are capable of doing the things you mention, its just not appropriate when in bandit country - you are more use saving the crews @rses!

Sadly, my thousands of hours of experience is falling on deaf ears - but of course, I'd forgotten, the J is a new aircraft and all previous knowledge is worthless. Have fun with your new toy - don't break it and come back in one piece.