PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 777 ditching not simulated?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2010, 12:02
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training time in the simulator is short enough as it is. To conduct an exercise of this nature would use up valuable resources that could be used practicing something constructive.
It is that type of negative thinking that gets right up my nose. Have you ever tried to practice the pure instrument flying skill in the simulator where the success or otherwise of a premeditated ditching depends primarily on the correct attitude and airspeed on touch down in IMC (night)?

I doubt it. The 737 FCTM dedicates this advice for final approach to ditching: "Maintain airspeed at VREF. Maintain 200 to 300 fpm rate of descent. To accomplish the flare and touchdown rotate smoothly to touchdown attitude of 10 to 12 degrees. Maintain airspeed and rate of descent with thrust.

Now read the Ditching part of the QRH. There are three pages devoted to the ditching drills. Believe me, I have personally witnessed almost every pilot who attempts the ditching final approach on instruments in the simulator for the first time, ignominiously hit the "water" at excessive rate of descent or fatal body angle.

Of course ditching impact forces cannot be truly replicated in a simulator. In any case the OH & S ramifications would be mind boggling. But certainly the normal simulator flying characteristics up to touch down in the water ensure fidelity - and it is the instrument flying involved in the final approach below 500 feet where pure flying skills are essential to success. Those who complain of degradation of flying skills in automated aircraft are going to be in trouble here.

To put this into time perspective. The last 500 feet to impact is where the real flying skill (or absence of) shows up. Incorrect nose attitude, rate of descent or airspeed during that time, and the chances are of survival are minimal - especially if the body angle at touch down is not optimum for aircraft type. Worst of the lot is nose down at impact - grimly termed torpedo effect. Automatic pilot monitoring skills won't help you now. . Excellent basic handling skills are the key to survival - or certainly reduce the chances of a disaster.

Assuming a ditching final approach to sea level from 500 feet takes two minutes. Assume each pilot repeats this two or three times for the first time he has a go in the simulator. Because chances are there will be need to be repeats. So for a lousy (say) six minutes of hands-on flying per pilot in the simulator per year, a skill of inestimable value is attained and hopefully retained.

Like a tyre burst nearing V1 in the simulator, or a blocked static vent on take off, an instrument ditching is considered by some to be so improbable that they feel it is a waste of valuable simulator time. Where do you stop with this theory? I would guess an engine failure at exactly V1 in IMC is as highly improbable as a ditching. Yet they are practiced in the simulator,ad nauseum.

Twin engine aircraft flying over thousands of miles of ocean are common place. It must be really comforting to passengers and flight attendants to know the cockpit crew have no idea how to ditch, since simulator time is too valuable to practice for six minutes each year....

Last edited by Tee Emm; 29th Jan 2010 at 12:22.