PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 29th Jan 2010, 09:06
GaryGnu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RNP and Automation

RNP approaches still require a manual landing. In fact RNP approaches can, and have, been used to make aerodromes with lesser ground infrastructure more accessible. Scenarios that require a higher than average level of manipulative skill could arise just as easily, if not more often, than approaches using conventional aids.

Depending on the aircraft avionics RNP approaches still require manual control to initiate the missed approach.

RNP contingency procedures (eg an Engine Out Dpearture) still require a human to make inputs to the FMS and Autopilot use may not be recommended, once again depending on type.

I don't have the figures anymore but on one particular RNP capable type I have flown the difference in Demonstrated Navigation Perfomance between Autopilot ON and OFF was not that great (in the order of 0.05nm).

I would argue based on the above that RNP approaches are not too much of a game changer in terms of a pilots role in the aircraft. All that is new about these approaches/departures is the source of navigation information used for guidance and the potential non-linear shape of the flight path.

Last edited by GaryGnu; 29th Jan 2010 at 09:09. Reason: Punctuation. Too many commas - some don't like it.