PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - America West crew arrested @ MIA (Update - Sentences)
Old 3rd Jul 2002, 20:50
arcniz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peterbuck - Earlier in this thread I listed a few ways that persons could more quickly clear their bodies of residual alcohol to avoid being unfairly accused of a violation when they were trying to do the right thing and aiming to strictly comply with alcohol-related rules and regs.

In my opinion, your posting carries a similar concept a step too far.

Other than step 1, which is the only legally appropriate out in your scenario, your suggestions seem to be directed at ways to cover up the external symptoms of actual intoxication.

This is a) really bad advice, and b) tends to amplify the erroneous impression encouraged by some in the press that pilots are inclined to engage in, tolerate or facilitate violations of the regs in regard to alcohol.

The aviation profession suffers greatly from comic-book stereotypes of hard-drinking 30's mail pilots and devil-may care wartime aviators drinking their courage.

From what I know - after roughly 40 years of command in aircraft - that is not the case. Commercial and civil pilots as a group are extremely conscious of the complex matrix of rules and regs surrounding aviation, and have little tolerance for individuals in the system who cannot or will not go along with the program.