PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot handling skills under threat, says Airbus
Old 29th Jan 2010, 02:38
p51guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is why I spent my last seven years flying to TGU, Honduras. At 2700 ft. AGL autopilot and autothrottle were off and the circle to land was hand flown. Along with EGPWS off. It really is nice to fly with no automation to enjoy the old way of doing things. It is very satisfying to know you are really flying the airplane. It is quite easy actually. Just fly like a pilot, not a computer operator. I had a couple of flights in a P51 Mustang with one of my students when I was instructing in Chino Ca. He was my best student ever and I believe the best pilot I have ever flown with, including myself. His name is Steve Hinton, he starts the unlimited air race at Reno every year. I see him every year at Reno and treasure the time we flew together. He quit the airlines to go back to warbirds because he loved to fly back in the 70's. Those flights with him and our dogfight rolling around each other with another P51 with a picture with my roomate pilot always will be on my wall behind my computer. I got my thrills mostly in a B757 but he did it all.