PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aeroplane or airplane?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2010, 02:07
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couldn't care less, life is too short, yawn.

On the other hand, journo's referring to aircrafts ( plural of aircraft) annoys me a little bit, but not that much, I'll prolly get used to it soon and not care at all.

As for planes (aero or air) it all works for me. I can recall a novel from many years past (can't remember title or author) (ha!! se that US spelling of authour) but it was about WW 1 i think, and the box-heads were referring to their planes as 'crates', or maybe they were Seppos, or Frogs. Obviously not Pommys of course they would all be flying Aeroplanes, or even Flying Machines.

While we are busy quoting references, Laurie Anderson from her work
"O Superman (For Massenet)":

here come the planes,
they're american planes,
made in America,
smoking or non-smoking.

etc

I have no idea what that song is about, but I do like it all the same. According to Wikipedia:

Anderson constructed the song as a cover of the aria "Ô Souverain, ô juge, ô père" (O Sovereign, O Judge, O Father) from Jules Massenet's 1885 opera Le Cid. She got the idea after listening to a recording of the aria made by African-American tenor Charles Holland, whose career was hampered for decades by racism in the classical music world. The first lines ("O Superman / O Judge / O Mom and Dad") especially echo the original aria ("Ô Souverain / ô juge / ô père"). (Susan McClary suggests in her book Feminine Endings that Anderson is also recalling another opera by Massenet; his 1902 opera, Le jongleur de Notre-Dame. The opera is one in which the arms of the mother—the Virgin Mary—embrace/bless the dying Rodrigo. In this way, it may not have been simply a "cover" of the Le Cid aria.)
Overlaid on a sparse background of two alternating chords formed by the repeated spoken syllable "Ha," the text of "O Superman" is spoken through a vocoder. A saxophone is heard as the song fades out, and a sample of tweeting birds is subtly overlaid at various points within the track.

All of that is about as relevant to my day as the original oldie but goodie thread re air or aero, or planes.

I personally call them planes or aircraft (often spelled on my typing machine as aircarft, which I agree is completely wrong). Seppos call them airplanes as do most pommy doco makers these days and all journo's regardless of color creed or nationality. Funny thing is that I know what they mean, which is the important thing. I even know that when they refer to aircrafts they mean 'more than one aeroplane'.

A much more important question is what a package of 24 small bottles, or cans, of beer is. Is it a:

slab?

box?

carton?

suitcase?

yugo? ( refers to VB only, a Slabovic)

fridge? (carboard beer box with small 1 can size access flap cut to keep the remaining cans cold)

Let's get to the BIG questions.

HD