PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stabilized APP
Thread: Stabilized APP
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2010, 00:42
cortilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my company sop is if you get an engine failure on an approach, if above 1000' then select flap 15 accelerate to vref + 15 (b737 btw) and if visual by minima and more importantly STABLE then continue. If not go around, sort yourself out go through the QRH and make another approach. Lets be honest an engine failure and resulting G/A is easier to deal with than accelerating down the slope and sorting yourslf out in 20 secs. we practice the g/a procedure from 50' atleast every year in the sim. But in real life lets be honest its a judgement call. if the the poopoo hits the fan its up to the captain to decide there and then what happens. granted that conversation has to take place in 5 seconds or less but it's a decision that has to be made.

Also in this situation (and i expect to get some flack for this but hey) i would expect my captain to say 'i have control ' and deal with the situation. that isn't saying i'd let go and cower in the corner. if i were a captain (which i won't be for a few years yet) i'd take over and we'd discuss it in the pub afterwards ( my round obviously)

Last edited by cortilla; 29th Jan 2010 at 00:58.