PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Aircraft Engineer
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 21:17
Tranwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trainees currently in the industry from Newcastle have a distinct disadvantage. The previous six years have seen the creation of the Academy from nothing, in order to fill the skills gap identified by the CAA. This was created by Kingston University, Bristol College and Newcastle College.

Until the last two years, this course was designed around the CAA modules and as a result was almost 95% theory. Although they had a Boeing 737 in the car park, limited use was made of it due to the demands of the licence modules.

Two years ago saw the expansion of Newcastle College's aerospace department - they built a new hangar and stocked it with aircraft of varying complexity. These courses are designed for two purposes only:

1: An access course for Newcastle Aviation Academy
2: Provide hands-on training for potential aircraft mechanics.

The students who have benefitted most from this facility are the current first years. They are studying BTEC level 3 (the same qual as the RAF provide for mechanics), C&G level 3 (the same qual as the RAF provided for fitters), and NVQ level 2.... now I KNOW the NVQ's are usually utter tripe, BUT this one has been written by licenced engineers and is 100% practical on aircraft. It teaches the basics from health and safety in a workshop environment to DI's on large and small aircraft, jacking, wire locking, how to read the AMM's... and so on. I know because I developed it. Ignore the bit of paper at the end and suddenly you have kids who know the basics of what a speed brace does....

The foundation degree is offered to provide funding for the teaching of the licence modules.

The new breed are on there way and will be hitting the shop floor in 3.5 years. Just in time for the long awaited boom.

Oh and Bodjit... I took a huge pay drop from being an unlicenced conny to hide from the recession in this job.... our lead lecturer is Licenced and if he wanted to re-adopt his certifying position, the pay increase would be somewhere in the region of 10000..... Short hours?.... I think not. think 3 hours of prep to teach one hour... we have more red tape than a red-tape factory..