PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Wick
Thread: Flying to Wick
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2002, 19:36
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lads

If your up in Wick it would be a shame not to go the whole hog and visit Orkney. Most of the Orkney islands have grass strips on them and the landing fee is usually payed in Beer. You won't find a bunch of more welcoming people in the UK. I have never heard of any noise complaints, but it is polite to waggle your wings if someone comes out into there backgarden to wave.

If the wx is good a low pas round the cliffs to the south of Stromness is a must, the Old man of Hoy is lit up a treat in the evening sun.

And also when I have to fly down to Turweston and back i usually route GAM straight up to NEW then SAB then to Perth the reason for this is because the above VOR's are all airways VOR's and put out a reasonable signal and if Leeming etc won't let you through, its not a problem to miss the whole lot out and route up the A1. Stay to the east of the Edinburgh ATZ and pick up Leuchars Radar who are usually pretty friendly.

The only other advice is file a flight plan it will save you freecalling all the way up and in my experence means you get all the clearances through controlled AS with minimal hassel.

MJ

Last edited by mad_jock; 3rd Jul 2002 at 20:11.