PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restriction of drug-taking in RAF Aircrew (Research help)
Old 28th Jan 2010, 14:42
Culio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restriction of drug-taking in RAF Aircrew (Research help)

Hello Pprune!

Perhaps one of the more obscure threads here in Military Aircrew, but I was hoping somebody could provide some help on a bit of research I'm conducting in line with my degree.

There are a number of drugs and medication that have side-effects such as drowsiness and loss of concentration over a period of time, an apt example of this is Melatonin. I am aware that US civilian aircrew are forbidden from taking Melatonin and other listed drugs up to three days before a flight as it can affect their performance.

I was hoping to gather some similar evidence from our ever faithful RAF. Do you recall any restrictions on consumption of certain drugs etc.? Could anyone point me in the direction of a current policy? (I've scoured the RAF website to no avail)

I'm aware of the Zero-Tolerance of Drug Consumption within the RAF, but just to dispel any comments, I mean over-the-counter/prescribed drugs or those that are not listed as "unacceptable" under the Zero Tolerance Policy.

I thank ye of good faith in advance!

Cheers,

Adam.