PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The REX Cadet Scheme
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 11:32
KRUSTY 34

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
No flame war Karhu. I have said on numerous occasions I am NOT anti REX, and I'm not anti cadet either. What I have found difficult to swallow over recent years however, is REX managements approach to it's crewing issues. One thing I have constantly said, is that the Cadetship will not solve REX's problems in this area. Have look back through this and other REX threads, you'll see what I mean.

Becoming a professional pilot is a big decision. A decision that we all had to come to terms with at some stage. Is a Cadetship with REX a better option than going the traditional route? Will you become a Regional Captain sooner by choosing one over the other? Will you have the Quals eventually to become a Captain at all? Will you have the Quals, if after a few years you don't like it, to apply for something else?

The path to a career as a professional pilot has always been full of uncertainty. IMHO whatever path you choose, you will only succeed if you forsake everything else to achieve it. There will be some speed bumps along the way. How many, and how often, will depend on your personal circumstances, your abilities, and in no small measure, luck!

For what it's worth, pound for pound, you will probably find yourself in the RHS of a regional airliner sooner by becomeing a REX cadet. But take caution, the path is not garenteed, and where you go from there is still not entirely clear (again, have look at the previous threads). Some have failed to complete the process. Having said that, some general entry "experienced" candidates have failed as well. It's never been a walk-up start. If it was, well then everybody would be doing it.

As for the next looming Captain shortage, and the current oversupply of F/O's that cannot be upgraded, well that's another story. Best of luck,

Krusty.