PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eurocontrol Testing and Interviews
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 11:12
RobUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was logging on to do just what Alexa has done so well above, so thanks to her!

Just to add to her experiences and answer the questions that I myself was worrying about before I went:-
don't stress about getting to the 'Hotel'- I made all my connections from Brussels easily enough, and the bus runs from right outside the station at 13 mins past the hours, although during the day there is another service at 49 minutes. It costs around 4 Euro for a single (ask for Airport), and there are cashpoints at the station if you need them!
The hotel is awful- you will need earplugs and a face-mask thing if you're a light sleeper. Bring some food as well or get some in Maastricht if you have time- although they do a 'Eurocontrol Menu' at the hotel its not exactly cheap (12-13 euros). There's nothing in the way of a gym or pool, in case you were expecting 5* luxury! I optimistically brought some sports kit!
The taxi is free, both to and from Eurocontrol so dont worry about that. Also you get breakfast at Eurocontrol so dont order it at the Hotel when they offer it to you.
The tests themselves- I've read on here a few times that you can;t prepare for them. I think that's only half true. Certainly if you're brilliant at this sort of thing and your mind works this way you wont need practice; conversely if you're useless no amount of practice will help you. But for the majority of us in between there practicing to think quickly and in 3D will buy you time in the tests- and time is something you dont have a lot of.
So anyway- English tests. OK you need to be almost fluent- if your comfortable with English you'll be fine, although you really need to concentrate. I'm English and I found the memory side of it tough. The passages they read can be quite long in parts, but the questions ar relatively broad so concentrate on the general overview of what the voice says. Also, if they state figures in the passage try to remember them- they usually aren't there just as padding! If you want to practice, get someone to read you a paragraph or to, preferably from a verbal reasoning test, and then try to parrot back to them the story.
Cubes- everyone hates cubes, and yes if your mind doesn't work that way its tricky. My advice is either buy a practice book or trawl the internet for as much practice material as you can find. But I believe it is something you can train yourself to be better at.
Headings- familarise yourself with the compass headings and giving vectors, and also to help guesstimate the distances involved. Many of the questions involved giving vectors from one fix to another and estimating total distances. Pythagoras would help here as well.
Sorting shapes/numbers- an exercise in reactions and quick decision making. There is stuff on the internet (try searching brain training) which is worth practicing. Same for the reactions test.
In the afternoon, the Strip Management test is difficult, especially if you are not used to strips or anything like that. Not a lot you can do to practce here- maybe air traffic control games help but Ive never played one so couldnt tell you. I guess a knoweldge of the strip system would help make it less scary to start with.
In general, any games, exercise, or practice that involves you thinking about more than one thing at the same time must help. If your brain is used to thinking like this it does make it easier in my opinion. The wikipedia FEAST page tells you all about the test stages.
So whilst the 'if you havent got it, you havent got it' mentality is true, there is no harm in making sure you are able to give the best account of yourself.
6-7 of us from the original 18 got through to the afternoon. There is no interview or anything like that. We finished about 4- remember this in case of booking transport back. The bus leaves outside the airport at 29 past, and there's not another for an hour. It takes roughly 25 mins to the station so I would recommend making sure you don't have a connection before half 5.
But anyway, just go, enjoy the experience. The tests make your brain bleed but time goes quick doing them. I definitely gained something from taking part, whatever the result!
Any questions then PM me- I'll see what I can do. best of luck to all going in the future!