PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ek sick days
Thread: Ek sick days
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 10:51
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a fair question Bin. Different people have different reasons for the choices they make and quite frankly it is no one else's business but I will attempt to answer your question anyhow. So why do I stay?

1-INERTIA. I have made a life in Dubai, have passed thru the various hoops along the way and since I am inherently lazy, I dread the thought of going through things again at a different airline
2-In spite of what I write, which is truthful, I grudgingly admit this is still a good job in some respects; which of course is an indictment on professional aviation in general
3-I earn tax free dollars and have few expenses
4-I have a financial commitment that precludes me taking a chance somewhere else (for the time being)
5-My attitude towards our mismanagement and my belief that EK is on a downhill slide, is a fairly recent realization on my part
6-I thoroughly enjoy my time at work, in spite of the fact we work way too much
7-The vast majority of my fellow pilots and most CC are great colleagues to work with
8-The worldwide aviation scene is not exactly conducive to changing jobs (KAL, China etc are not exactly my dream jobs)
9-I am, or should I say, WAS an optimistic and appreciative employee. But after each continual degradation to our T&C's and the obvious complete disregard for fatigue and hence flight safety and health effects, they have slowly worn me down.
10-I'm good at this job and never envisioned feeling this way about this career choice at such a young age
11- Pprune affords me the opportunity to VENT my frustrations and get on with the job. If you don't like my POV, then don't read it!

Those are my reasons for staying at EK, granted I wrote them in a hurry.

I notice you didn't refute one single point I made in my earlier post. Interesting.

Yet you go to great lengths taking speculative shots at me without basis. And I quote just one of your comments as evidence; ''Are you hiding behind the excuse of disrupting your family to assauge your own ego?'' (It's assuage by the way, hehe.) Did you just finish watching Saving Private Ryan and come up with that one? Made me laugh though, thanks.

Oh yes, and I'm arrogant, know-it-all, a 'cap in hand Canuck' and a property speculator as well....... and apparently I don't ''get out more'' either. You might be considered intuitive if not for the fact that your shotgun approach at labelling me was so inaccurate. Oh right, I'm not supposed to mention YOU in my retort to your allegations, my apologies, haha.

I post on Pprune to express what I believe is reality, which helps me avoid such conversations at work and conduct myself professionally. I am not a bitter man, quite the contrary. The crew and F/O's I fly with consistently express what a great time we had together and I express my respect and gratitude towards those deserving as well. (even if we have completely different POV's regarding company, political or social topics).

I realize that some people on this forum might regard me as being a bit too loud or a bit too opinionated but usually they attempt to slot me into a hole which allows them to disregard what I say, without actually considering the reality of the situation here at EK.

I dont bitch at work, I am as upbeat and positive a person as you will ever run across, but I am realistic about this job. Too bad if that offends some people on a Forum.

I didn't pursue this career for glory or money but because I found it interesting and challenging. The airline pilot job is a profession, yet EK have somehow managed to lower our expectations so far, that many of us barely notice the incessitant decline in the T&Cs's of this job. It's almost as if... well the latest FCN/email/FCI/OEB/HR adjustment/accomodation dictate, etc. didn't affect me, so I should be happy about things. When did pilots STOP considering the plight of their colleagues and START only considering their own benefit?

Bin if you wish to discuss any of my assertions then I am here. Bring it on Beeatch, haha. That was a joke by the way. But seriously, enlighten me regarding my improper view of things because I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. I am very open to constructive criticism and willing to change my POV.