PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HKA runway incursion HKG
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 08:43
drool69er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Letter to SCMP

Dear Sir/Madam

I wish to refer to your article today 28 January 2010 regarding Hong Kong Airlines runway incursion.

I feel that the article does not portray the seriousness of this incident.

This is the second time HKA has been involved in such serious incidents, and the second time your newspaper has watered down the story and failed to explain to the public how close this airline has come to killing hundreds of people.

I am sure you are aware of the tragedy at Tenerife many years ago which has very similar cirumstances. Had the visibility not been good on the night of the 13th, neither the tower nor the Cathay captain would have any idea that HKA had mistakingly taxied onto the departure runway, and there most certainly would have been a tragedy of Tenerife proportions.

Therefore I would appreciate that the journalist concerned re-write his article with a bit more fore thought and investigation and at the very least portray to the public(who have a right to know) the dangers HKA have put the public in.

As a suggestion perhaps you could ask the CAD why they have done nothing to ensure HKA improve their safety standards (2 similar incidents of the same seriousness is totally unacceptable). Now is it no longer a case of it being dangerous to fly with HKA, but it is dangerous for other airline operators to be near them.

Your consideration is greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely