PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 28th Jan 2010, 02:22
Jet_A_Knight

Metrosexual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilotless aircraft = a beancounter's and a frustrated pilot cc's wet dream

Red T-Bar :

It's a fact that the majority of aircraft accidents are caused by pilot error so if they automated the flight deck even more and had less pilots it will be even safer.
That is such a simplistic view on the reality of 'pilot error' I am inclined to call such a statement 'STOOPID'.

I'm gonna hedge my bets.... if you are taking the pi$$ and I missed the sublety of your humour, I apologise for the rest of my post.

However.... I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not a troll, but are truly ignorant of the reality of human beings (with all their vulnerabilities and foibles) operating complex equipment in a complex and dynamic environment - so I provide for you (and others interested) in a hyperlink to site that has researched articles for download about Human Factors, and what leads pilots to make errors.

Flight Cognition Laboratory

ErrorManagement

In the meanwhile, next time you go barging in to the flight deck during a turnaround and interrupt those button-pushing-toffs in the middle of their departure safety briefing, in order to tell them that the passenger in 23B gave you a dirty look, stop and consider for a moment that you are in fact making yourself one of those things that can lead your flight crew into 'pilot error'.

Oh, and if they do end up screwing it up and crashing, there's usually 50 or more exits to 'evacuate' out of.