PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Partition Specific thread.
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 01:08
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
A Partition Specific thread.

So as not to wander in a multiplicity of drift angles, I'll open this in the hope that it will be of interest generally.

I looked at some Goo-goil hits on Partitioning, alongside the CompUSA head tekki here. There was a very specific statement that said that no other party's software is required for Vista and W7.

As mentioned on my other thread, I got caught out by allowing the installation to kill the other partitions and then load W7 in C, certain that I would be able to adjust things afterwords. I could do, but I would be limited in the amount of Reduction of the size of C. With a 500 Gig drive, I was offered a reduction down to about 230 Gig. I wanted 100 for the OS dedicated partition.

The reason it seems, is that the instalation had put imovable files out to that size. The reason my laptop is about right is because it's half the capacity, so it seems that W7 grabs a certain proportion, rather than a certain amount of a partition in bytes.

For me, I would like to fix the OS in 100 Gig. Without using a third party's software, how can I prepare a HD to be the right partition sizes.

(The machine I'm on was partitioned with XP, and W7 contained itself in a C drive of about 100.)