PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFIS in Europe?
Thread: AFIS in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2010, 16:08
pamplinas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I was considering the possibility of having ATC during the hours when scheduled flights could be expected, leaving AFIS for the rest of the time. Could be a solution. Just as LH2 says, I always thought that airlines manuals would prevent them from operating in AFIS environments.

172_driver, since AFIS does not issue clearances, how could it avoid having more than 2 traffics in the pattern?

Thank you both for your help.

By the way, I finally found a document that somehow deals with the subject:

EAM 5 / GUI 1 EXPLANATORY MATERIAL ON ESARR 5 REQUIREMENTS FOR AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL OFFICERS

Page 13 (Aerodrome Control) reads as follows:

One of the air traffic services recognised by ICAO is a flight information service that is independent from an air traffic control or air traffic advisory service. A number of States implement this service at aerodromes that are outside controlled airspace to provide flight information in the interests of safety. This service may be limited to information about the runway in use, circuit direction, pressure settings and meteorological conditions. However, a more comprehensive information service including the provision of traffic information to aircraft entering, leaving or operating in the aerodrome circuit may be required, depending on the traffic levels and
complexity.

Any further increase in the level of traffic or a change in the type of operations, for example the introduction of scheduled flights, may require the introduction of controlled airspace and an air traffic control service to meet the required level of safety.

I was hoping to find some kind of clear and mandatory requirements but I just step into such an ambiguous phrasing (may require?). Awfully frustrating...
Any hints?

Last edited by pamplinas; 27th Jan 2010 at 17:20.