PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I can't wait for electric/hybrid aircraft.
Old 27th Jan 2010, 13:59
horizon flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
21st Centaury predictions

Hi Bookworm, good points 50 ltr/hr would give 600kw/hr 25%. 1/4 = 150kw/hr. The batteries at 3kw/hr/kg with a 90% efficent electric motor at 100lbs inclusive of controler would give 150kws, so the saving in wieght would go in to extra batteries, so range would be similar, have to think of the engine and fuel as one package. Also lower frontal area and cooling drag could give extra range. In descent no power needed, might even do power recovery, with the prop as an air bake driving the motor as a generator.

The battery techonogy to do this is lithium air, similar to the zinc air cells used in hear aids. These are in intense develoment, as the holy grail for electric vehicles. The potential is 5kw/kg, so 3kw/kg would seem feasible
they are already at 2.5kw/kg.

IBM, St Andrews uni, the Japanes, which looks the best at the moment and several others are working on them. These will come in two versions, rechargable and for fast charge, cassett replacement of the Lithim and electrolite, which will be reprocessed back into a charged cassetts, so making it a fuel cell based on lithium. Plenty of the stuff in the world

I wish everyone would do the sums and look at the technical problems with hydrogen. Its a total waste of money, time, resources and energy, only 12.5% efficent from energy source to wheel or prop, very difficult to store and insufficent resources of clean fresh water and platinum in the world , in the US it would double the clean water requirment. Also as water vapour, is a global warming gas, the exhaust from cells would make it worse. I have researched this, so don't flame me.

These batteries will be the tipping point for most vehicles to go pure electric drive, like the Chevey Volt, due out this year using LiFePo4 batteries, safer than Li-ion as per burning laptops and restrictions on air travel. An Li air would mean Chevey could leave the IC engine/generator range extender out and add a few more batteries to match the range or better of an ICE car.

Also a different method of fusion power is being researched that looks good, called pulsed fusion, with hydrogen and boron as the fuel. This gives very very little raditaion and little residual, the exhaust is helium. Minimum size will be 5mega watts and about the size of a 2 car garage and less than 1/2 million $ each. Only needs about 2kg of fuel a year. Forget magnetic confinement, to difficult. Note the Starship Enterprise impulse engines are based on this concept, in a real space ship they would make a trip to Mars a 2 week run. NASA are researching this.

So I believe the 21st centuary will be electric. Also with new electric refining methods for titanium, it may replace steel and ali in aircraft so Carbon fibre and titanium may become the materials of choice.

With so many things in the pipline and every time the Arabs up the price, it's another nail in the coffin of oil.

Last edited by horizon flyer; 27th Jan 2010 at 14:14.