PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My adventure in the Top End
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2010, 11:53
Krazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My adventure in the Top End

In the spirit of Kash360's thread, I thought I would blog here about my upcoming job hunt rather than my usual travel blog spot. If it helps others out (people who were in my boots up to a week ago), then great. If you don't like it - then feel free to tell me to blog somewhere else!

Anyway, after many many months of oohing and aahhing, I finally made a last minute decision to 'go for it'. I am a career changer. I have had good desk jobs in the past and have a new job lined up for the near future (having quit my last job last year). But, after many years of flying privately, and finally doing my CPL last year, I can't hold off any more. If I never give it a go, I'll never know. I have tried everything short of going to the Top End to get a job, but have realised, it just ain't gonna happen unless I'm there in person. The hard part is, it's so different to what I'm used to in the 'normal' professional world. But, when in Rome....

So, after sleeping on it last night, I bought my ticket this morning to Darwin. I leave tomorrow morning. I'm all packed - I hope - and roaring to go. I have lists and lists of companies to go visit and people to meet. Many of whom I've spoken to on the phone. I've also been fortunate enough that I have been put in touch (by people on here and elsewhere) with various people in the industry (from line pilots, to CPs, to pilots doing way cool stuff that I'm still to new to even dream of right now). So, the adventure begins.

I haven't given up my upcoming job yet. It's hard to let go of such a great safety net when you're a fully grown adult! Thankfully, I've got a bit of time before things have to be finalised.

So - if you are in Darwin, Jabiru, Kununurra, Wyndham, Broome, etc. etc. and are up for a drink, let me know!

Given that I've never been to the Top End before even as a tourist, I'm looking forward to this. Even if I get nowhere in terms of getting a job, I'm looking forward to the adventure!

First step: organise a car for myself in Darwin (to those who suggested I drive up - I wish I could - but time isn't on my side).