PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway with RR turbine
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2010, 06:03
rotorfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s1lverback: "A 2 seater turbine?...again, guess they like the whine..I know I do
Price will be the issue for this ship if indeed it is aimed at the turbine training market as seems to be the inference from the video, especially if "more than R22 and less than R66"...

My understanding is the R22 is going out of production. If that's accurate, some ship on the lower end of the price spectrum should be able to make inroads into the basic training market. I believe that's the idea for this new Rotorway. I like the R44, but can't afford to use it as a trainer, when only 2 are usually onboard. Being a turbine allows a new pilot to begin building the almighty turbine hours right away. I didn't start flying rotary until I was 40 yrs. old, and it didn't take long for me to realize there was little hope of earning a CPL and a real job, as most require quite a bit of turbine time, something I wasn't logging in the R22 or S300. Most working helis are turbine powered, so if you can train in turbines right from the start, it would seem a more efficient use of training funds. This has the potential of being "affordable" turbine time.

As to the many comments on the quality of the Rotorways, I haven't flown one yet. I have looked them over pretty carefully several times at Oshkosh, and they look decent. Again, I've not flown one yet. Perhaps, with this new machine having certification, not just being a kit, I would expect the standards will have to be higher. I am very interested to see how this works out..