Old 27th Jan 2010, 01:41
Ken Borough

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Jetstar still has its (many) problems

Published by the Sydney Morning Herald

Jetstar passengers stranded in Thailand

THOMAS HUNTER

January 27, 2010 - 10:18AM

Jetstar passengers booked on a Thailand-to-Sydney flight have been stuck on the resort island of Phuket since Monday because of maintenance problems.

Flight JQ28 was due to leave Phuket at 9pm (local time) on Monday, but the flight was cancelled, leaving hundreds of passengers to spend Australia Day stranded far from home, Natalie Soltyszewski said.

The passengers were put up in a hotel on Monday night and told they would leave at 5pm (local time) on Tuesday, but due to more maintenance problems that flight was also cancelled after they had boarded the aircraft.

Jetstar again arranged accommodation, meal and telephone vouchers for passengers on Tuesday night.

The Qantas-owned no-frills carrier later confirmed the stranded travellers would be picked up by bus to catch a replacement flight to Sydney at 5.30pm on Wednesday.

But tempers were frayed as the passengers waited for information.

"They boot you off the plane and then you are stuck dealing with the Thai ground staff who don't know anything," Ms Soltyszewski said.

"The information is just not forthcoming. We'll go to a hotel now, and we'll find out in the morning whether or not we've got another plane."

Ms Soltyszewski had been on holiday with friends in Thailand for a month.

"I'm not so worried about myself," she said.

"One lady has to get back for chemo. Some kids are starting school tomorrow.

"It's a great Australia Day for us."

Jetstar spokesman Simon Westaway said two unrelated faults occurred on the A330 aircraft, one which required a part to be delivered from Bangkok.

“We are just as frustrated as those customers that just want to get back to Australia,” he said.

Jetstar were sending another A330 to Thailand this morning to pick up the passengers.

“The other aircraft should be repaired today, but we’re not taking any chances,” he said.

“I understand that some people are frustrated but I’ve also heard a lot of positive comments our cabin crew, tech crew and pilots in terms of how we’ve managed the situation,” he said.

Mr Westaway said all passengers would receive a full refund and travel vouchers worth $600.

He said a couple that had a pressing medical issue were found seats on a Thai Airways flight.

Meanwhile, Jetstar has come under fire in New Zealand from a mother with twins who was kicked off a flight because she did not have another adult flying with her.

Aimee Moutray and her 18-month-old identical twins Arliyah and Janade were booked to fly to the Gold Coast on Friday for Ms Moutray's cousin's wedding, the New Zealand Herald reported.

At Auckland Airport she could not fly with the two girls without another adult. Ms Moutray said Jetstar had previously told her she could.

Mr Westaway said Ms Moutray would receive a refund for the flight.