PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beware VFR traffic in USA
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2010, 23:27
slatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the way I read it the controller did do something. He stoped the IFR departure at 17,000 for a VFR at 17,500. He did not have to do that. He could have assigned FL230 and let them pass if he thought they were not a factor. The controller quoted traffic. It is not the controllers problem that TCAS went off. I am sure the pilot had set 17,000 in the flight director or whatever system he was using. With a LEVEL aircraft crossing at 17,500 and the aircraft programed to stop at 17,000, TCAS should not have presented a RA, a TA yes but no RA. Maybe the King air went down to 17,400 for an update or two, that would trigger an RA. Once the RA was reported the controller has to fill out a report and the report is forwarded on in 3 business days (I think, it has been awhile). Then it is reviewed and if the powers to be in Atlantic City think things did not go as they should have, they request the voice and radar tapes of the incident. (kept for 15 days) They use this data to improve the TCAS systems.